Sunday, August 24, 2008

Do You Think I'm Crazy?

And no, that's not a rhetorical question for you, I really need to know if you think I'm crazy.

As you know, I've been among the unemployed for the last 5 weeks, and The Job Hunt is proving to be Quite Unsuccessful at this point. You know this already, as I have whined incessantly about if the the last 5 weeks. That's not the part I need you opinion on, as I don't think it's all that crazy.

Last weekend, I started thinking about the military, and specifically, the JAG Corps as a possible career choice. And long story short, I thought it would be a decent career choice, probably exciting, probably difficult to do, and probably rewarding. I did a bunch of research on the Navy and the Army, and visited my local Navy recruiter. After learning that the Navy Reserves would be a 6-year commitment, training would last 26 weeks (or something like that) and then deployment would probably be somewhere like Norfolk, VA, I was still interested. Unfortunately, after a couple of phone discussions, I learned my underactive thyroid, which is treated with medication, disqualifies me from joining the Navy. I was actually disappointed. That was Thursday.

Friday, I came across a Paralegal job posting on Career Builder for the Air National Guard, based out of Selfridge Air Force Base, which is seriously, 5 minutes from my house. And tomorrow, I am going to call to find out more about it. The job posting says that it's "part-time" and enlistment is required. Training is 6-10 weeks. Or something like that. I have been thinking about this career possibility, and it makes me excited for some reason. Am I crazy? Here are the pros:

1. The base is so close to my house
2. It's part-time, and depending on what that means, could actually mean I'd have time to be home for my kid
3. If I have to wear a uniform, I could save major coin on clothes
4. Government jobs have great benefits
5. I could retire after 20 years, and really, in 20 years, I'll be 57 and retiring at 57 sounds awesome

I could name a few more, but I think I must be crazy to be this excited about working for the Air National Guard. And as a paralegal, at that. I mean, even the possibility of having to be shipped off for training, and even if it was basic training, doesn't turn me off. Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm too old (JAG Corps age limit was 42, but I don't know if it's different for paralegals.) Did I really spend $100k+ on an education, only to get a paralegal job? I don't know. I am thinking that one of my questions to the recruiter, is asking about a career path to the JAG Corps. And I won't be mentioning my thyroid!

So Am I Crazy? And I mean more that before?

(P.S. This is totally unrelated, but I was flipping through the stations as I was writing this, and Dr. Rey (from Dr. 90210) is on HSN, shilling his underwear/shapewear, and I find it incredibly obnoxious that he is wearing scrubs-type clothing and a FUCKING STETHOSCOPE! Is it me or does anyone else think that is so arrogant and obnoxious? I hate Dr. Rey. He's such an asshole.)

3 comments:

Kim said...

No, I don't think you're crazy. I think you're desperate.

I know it's hard, but you probably won't be able to find anything until you get your bar results back. I know it sucks, but honestly you don't want to get stuck in a paralegal job when you're qualified for so much more.

Unknown said...

yes, I do think you're crazy. enlist?!?! come on, girl! you favorite color is PINK for chrissakes! I support you whatever you do, but.. don't settle - you've worked too hard! and I think they'd find out about your thyroid eventually anyhoo. :)

Jody said...

Shit! I say do it girl! Being surrounded by men in uniform...that's worth it right there. The military would offer you a chance to knock some of those things off your Life To Do list :-)